Scroll to Bottom

Family, volunteers search for Sinclairs

Reformer Staff

July 21, 2003

CHESTERFIELD, N.H. -- Wearing gloves and using a gardening tool, Sharon Garry spent much of Saturday on her knees, digging through dirt, lifting rocks and eyeing places where the bodies of her sister and niece may have been hidden.

"Does anyone remember their biology classes?" asked Garry as she lifted up a rock from the side of a cliff along one of the trails on Wantastiquet Mountain. "How long does it take for moss to grow on a rock?"

Nearby, longtime friend Rebecca Sorenson ripped up roots, dirt and pebbles with a gardening tool.

"I find a place to look that seems ideal ... seems like it could be the place, but then I take two more steps and find an area that looks exactly the same," Sorenson said.

Garry, the sister of the missing Tina Sinclair, organized a 20-person search of the area on Saturday, spurred partly by a Los Angeles psychic investigator's claims that the bodies of Sinclair and her daughter, Bethany, may have been disposed of there.

It's been nearly two and half years since the Chesterfield mother and daughter went missing. At the time of their disappearance, the two were living with Eugene Van Bowman at his home on Mountain Road.

Van Bowman, who is now being held at the New Hampshire State Prison on an unrelated sexual assault charge against a minor, told police that Tina, then 34, and Bethany, then 15, moved out of his house after a fight on Feb. 3, 2001.

Although Van Bowman is not considered a suspect in the case, his Mountain Road home has been searched three times by investigators. Evidence has been reportedly seized during one of the searches, although the court-issued search warrants remain sealed to the public.

Last week, Garry announced that she had engaged the help of Carla Baron, a psychic investigator who recently was featured on Court TV's "Psychic Detectives" show.

During several telephone conversations with the psychic, Garry said, Baron revealed inside information relating to the case, explained how the two women were killed and described the appearance of the place where the bodies were left.

On a mountain; hidden beneath a "cave-like" formation; covered with leaves and branches. The supposed burial spot describes much of the scenery around Wantastiquet, but on Saturday Garry was optimistic that evidence, or even the bodies, would be discovered.

Armed with cell phones, digging tools, bug spray and bottled water, family members, friends, area residents and several members of the volunteer Vernon Fire Department split up the area's trails.

Steve Holton, the fire chief in Vernon, said the department got a call a few days before about the search and was eager to assist.

"We've been out all morning looking along the trails," he said. "It's a daunting task but we will keep going. We'll do anything to assist the family in getting some sort of closure."

Wayne Smith, Tina Sinclair's brother, was arranging a small crew of volunteers at the trail base at around 10:30 a.m. He said he was a believer in Baron's psychic abilities and hopeful that something could be found.

"If anything, it has gotten people interested in this case again," he said.

Searchers met at the bottom of the natural area's main trail at 10 a.m., put their names on a list, signed a waiver and were assigned a portion of the trail.

Stephanie Bell, Tina's cousin, and Gail Sorenson, a family friend, worked the tables at the trail's entrance. They said a search and rescue team from Illinois had planned to come up with six trained dogs to assist in the search, but canceled at the last minute due to their commander's sudden death.

"People are hopeful and optimistic," said Sorenson. "They really want to put an end to all of this ... they want Tina and Bethany to rest in peace."

Shortly before 11 a.m., Trooper Jayson Almstrom of New Hampshire State Police Troop C pulled up in an unmarked police car. Almstrom made it clear to the searchers at the site that he was present simply as a contact person if any evidence is found.

"The state police are not part of this search," he said....


The mountain and its trails have been searched numerous times, Almstrom said, and those searches have included cadaver-sniffing dogs, helicopters and divers in the nearby Connecticut River.

Still, he said, there have been no new developments in the case recently.

"We are still actively investigating this case here," he said.

Garry, who contends that there are several trails and other spots along the mountain that have not been searched, was appreciative of Almstrom's appearance.

"We are thrilled you are here to help protect the integrity of the investigation," she told him.

Garry and a handful of dedicated volunteers stayed on the mountain until nearly 7 p.m. Saturday. She said she discovered several items along the mountain that "seemed out of place."

Among them was a 2-to-3-foot-long cable and a white plastic oil jug buried in the dirt. Garry said Baron had told her that the killer left behind a white plastic container near where he buried her.

Garry left the two items along a trail so she could alert police. When she returned on Sunday the items were gone.

"The area around the mountain is just too vast," she said. "There are many areas that we haven't looked at yet."

When Garry returned to the trails on Sunday she was surprised to see several familiar faces along the trails, also continuing the search.

"Psychic or no psychic, this is very encouraging," she said. "This means that people are hearing our cause and that the community honestly wants to do something about this."

Because the mountain and its trails are so extensive and the places bodies could be hidden are so numerous, Garry said she plans another search, tentatively scheduled for Aug. 2 at 9 a.m.

The support of her friends and family -- along with the community that came out to help -- has rekindled her hope for closure, Garry said.

"I'm enthusiastic because I feel we are on a very good trail," Garry said on Sunday. "The community is in full support of what we are doing and I appreciate their effort and Carla Baron's work. This is not over."

Volunteers renew search for mother and daughter

Family members say they won't give up looking

Monday, July 21, 2003

(Concord Monitor, N.H.)

CHESTERFIELD - A renewed search sparked by suggestions from a California psychic failed to find a mother and daughter who have been missing for more than two years, but family members say they will search again.

Several dozen family members and friends of Tina Sinclair, 34, and her daughter, Bethany, 15, searched on Mount Wantastiquet on Saturday. They say there are more places to search and they are optimistic the Sinclairs will be found.

"I feel like we couldn't possibly have covered the areas we needed to cover," said Sharon Garry, Tina Sinclair's sister. "I think there are some very interesting areas that need to be searched more."

Garry said she found a sock and other items in areas where psychic Carla Baron told her to look. Garry asked Baron for help after seeing her on a Court TV program about psychic investigators.

Baron told her in a telephone conversation to look for the remains in a natural alcove formed by rock outcroppings, Garry said.

"We found areas that were alcoves, areas perhaps someone could have been hidden in," she said. "We found areas that were described by the psychic and found items in them that were unusual to be found in those areas."

Garry said she and the other searchers marked places they thought police should investigate further....


The Sinclairs were last seen at the home of Eugene Van Bowman, Tina Sinclair's ex-boyfriend, who lived on the road to Mount Wantastiquet. Bowman is in prison for sexual assault. He has not been charged in the Sinclairs' disappearance.

The police call Bowman a "person of interest" in the disappearance, but have not called him a suspect. The disappearance is classified as a missing persons case, but state officials say they're handling it as a homicide.

Garry said she plans to organize another search in the area in two weeks.

Monday, July 21, 2003

Chesterfield search yields only hope from family members
By Stephen Seitz, New Hampshire Sunday News correspondent

July 20, 2003

Chesterfield – Though searchers came up empty-handed, family members remain optimistic that they might yet determine the whereabouts of Tina and Bethany Sinclair.

“We’re still hopeful,” said Sharon Garry, Tina’s sister and family spokesman. “There are still people coming in late to help out, and we found a couple of things that might mean something. I found a sock, and a piece of metal.”

“After two and a half years, you feel you have to take things into your own hands,” said Garry’s friend, Rebecca Sorenson. “Sharon’s worked hard to make sure people don’t forget.”

Garry and a party of about 20 searched the public trails of Mount Wantastiquet yesterday with the hope – and the dread – of finding the missing women’s remains.

The mother and daughter were last seen at the home of convicted sex offender Eugene Van Bowman, who lived on the road to the mountain in Chesterfield. They were last seen on Feb. 4, 2001. Bowman told police he stormed out of the house after a fight with Tina. When he returned, he told police, Tina and Bethany had taken their clothes and left everything else, including Tina’s car and cat.

The next morning an unknown woman called Keene High School to say that Bethany, who was 15 and a freshman at the time, would be out sick.

Chesterfield police were called after the women had been missing a week, and state police were brought in after that.

Recently, Garry contacted nationally known psychic Carla Baron, who said she has consulted on more than 50 missing persons cases, including that of Utah teenager Elizabeth Smart. Baron said she found Tina’s spirit, and passed along to Garry a description of the area she believes where the remains might be found.

Baron – who was not in New Hampshire for the search yesterday – described a natural alcove formed by rock outcroppings deep enough for a large animal to use as a den; Wantastiquet is rich with them.

Detective Trooper Jayson Almstrom from State Police Troop C was also on hand to answer questions and provide advice. He said that he had been sent at the request of the state Attorney General’s office.

“I’m not going up,” he said. “The State Police are not part of this search….”

Almstrom said the area had been searched by police already.

“The area was searched with cadaver dogs at the beginning,” he said. “We sent up a helicopter, and a plane’s been over. The area has been extensively searched.”

As for the current status of the investigation, Almstrom said, “We’re still actively investigating this case.”

The disappearances are being classified as a missing persons case, and no formal suspects have been announced. However, Bowman has been called a “person of interest” by authorities, and his home and its grounds have been searched several times.

Bowman is currently in state prison, in the minimum security wing, having served two and a half years on an unrelated sexual assault conviction. While he has been paroled, according to the Department of Corrections, he will remain in prison until he can find employment that will keep him inside the boundaries of Cheshire County.

Garry spent close to an hour on the phone with Baron during the search.

“Tina continues to maintain hope,” said Garry. “Tina’s aware that everyone’s been here, and she described the person who may find the evidence. There’s nothing definite, but it looks good.”

Sinclair search

Friends, family hunt for evidence
By Will Coghlan, Sentinel Source

July 20, 2003

Acting on a psychic’s tip, friends and relatives of two missing women combed an area of woods by the Connecticut river on Saturday, in an attempt to bring closure to a case that is now more than two-years old.

In February 2001, Tina Sinclair left the Chesterfield residence she had been sharing with her boyfriend to pick up her daughter Bethany at the movies. The two women haven’t been seen since.

Sharon Garry, sister of Tina Sinclair, organized the search after a phone conversation with Carla Baron, a California-based psychic who claimed to have seen the murder of Tina and Bethany and said their bodies were left in a hilly, wooded area, concealed in some type of cave.

“What I am envisioning is something like this,” said Garry, as she dug into a patch of leaves just off a trail in the Wantastiquet Mountain area where the search took place. “It has been a few years, but it’s something that may have been covered in like this.”

By 10:45 a.m. Saturday, 17 people had registered with search organizers before heading off into the woods. Stephanie Bell, Sinclair’s cousin, had come from Brattleboro to staff the registration table.

“It has been all friends and family,” said Bell. “Everyone just wants closure.”

The participants in the search were required to check in at the table to sign a liability waiver and provide a phone number or driver’s license. They were then assigned a section of woods and given specific instructions on what to do if anything out of the ordinary was found.

“We want more than anything to protect the integrity of this case,” said Garry.

While New Hampshire State Police are conducting an ongoing missing persons investigation, most of those who showed up to search the woods have long since assumed the worst.

“After two years, you feel you have to take things into your own hands,” said Rebecca Sorenson, a friend of Garry’s from Brattleboro.

Jayson Almstrom, of the New Hampshire State Police, showed up shortly after the search began. Almstrom said he had been asked by the state Attorney General’s office to be there on Saturday as a police contact.

“We’re still actively investigating this case,” said Almstrom, “but the state police are not involved with this search and I’ve been advised not to give any advice. I’m simply here as a contact person in case something is found.”

According to Almstrom, the area of Saturday’s search was investigated extensively in the weeks following the women’s disappearance, by state police officers using search dogs, planes, helicopters, and divers in the nearby Connecticut River.

At the time of Tina and Bethany’s disappearance, they had been living with Tina’s boyfriend, Eugene Van Bowman, in his house on Mountain Road in West Chesterfield. Saturday’s search was based from a parking lot at the end of Mountain Road that provides access to popular hiking trails.

Though no arrests have been made in the case, police searched Van Bowman’s house multiple times after the women disappeared.

Van Bowman is currently living in a halfway house in Concord after his release from prison, where he had been serving time on a sexual assault charge that is not linked to the Sinclair case.

Though Garry acknowledged that the use of a psychic’s advice might draw criticism, she said that her focus was on simply bringing closure to the case.

“We do expect to have some negative people, some naysayers. But we’re just trying to stay positive,” said Garry.

A number of area businesses donated food and bottled water to the search effort, and volunteers from the fire department in Vernon, Vt., where Sinclair had lived, were among the first to arrive.

Mike Lozito, of the Brattleboro ambulance service Rescue, Inc., was on hand during the search as well.

“The family asked if we could come over to provide medical coverage,” said Lozito. “It has been an ongoing thing, and everyone wants closure.”

That sentiment was echoed by a family friend who took part in the search but asked not to be identified.

“We’re here for Mary (Sinclair’s mother), because we know how hard it must be on the family.”

By late afternoon, the search hadn’t turned up any clues to the two women’s disappearance. Though the turnout was smaller than she expected, Garry remained hopeful, and planned to speak to the psychic again in hopes of gaining more specific information.

Manchester Union Leader, July 16, 2003, page A3, State Edition


By Stephen Seitz, Union Leader Correspondent

CHESTERFIELD, N.H.--- A nationally known psychic has been asked to help in the search for Tina and Bethany Sinclair.

Carla Baron, based in Los Angeles, has been asked by the Sinclair family to provide whatever help she can in finding the mother and daughter, who have been missing since February 2001.

"We are leaving no stone unturned," said Sharon Garry, family spokeswoman and Tina Sinclair's sister. "This is just another stone."

Tina Sinclair, at the time age 34, and her 15-year-old daughter Bethany, were living in the Chesterfield home of Eugene Van Bowman, now 45, when they were last seen on Feb. 4, 2001. According to Bowman, the two had a fight, and Bowman told police he ended it by walking out of the house. By the time he came back, he told police, Tina and Bethany had taken their clothes and left.

Left behind were Tina's car and cat, and both women's possessions.

The following morning, Feb. 5, an unknown woman called Keene High School to say that Bethany, who was a freshman at the time, would be out sick. Except for that phone call, not a word has been heard from Tina or Bethany since.

Chesterfield police were called after the women had been missing a week, and state police were brought in after that.

Officially, the disappearances are classified as a missing persons case, and no suspects have been named. However, Bowman has been called a "person of interest" by authorities, and his home has been searched several times.

Bowman is currently in a Concord halfway house looking for work, according to authorities. He was recently released from prison after serving two and a half years on an unrelated sexual assault conviction.

Garry said she contacted Baron after friends told her about the TV program, "Psychic Detectives."

"I was very impressed," Garry said. "At first, she was overwhelmed by the response from the show and turned us down. But we gave her our information later and she did a fabulous reading. She profiled their personalities.

She had an idea of what had happened and where they might be. It was a parallel to information I know to be true."

Baron said she has consulted on about 50 missing persons cases, including that of Utah kidnap victim Elizabeth Smart. She said she knew nothing about the Sinclair case when she first began investigating it.

"All I had were the two names," she said. "But I've never seen such souls. They jumped on me in two seconds, as if they were waiting for someone to pick up the phone."

Without naming a suspect, Baron said that Tina Sinclair was likely the victim of an angry, impulsive act, while Bethany had the misfortune to be a witness.

"I don't think this was premeditated," Baron said. "She was trying to brush him off. He was pleading with her, and she tried to make him look like a fool. Bethany was not supposed to be a part of it."

Baron said the bodies were most likely buried in a cave in the forest. The major crimes unit has been focusing on the Connecticut River and environs.

"It's dark," Baron said of her vision. "I can see that he's camouflaging them. I don’t see a river; I see mountain and forest."

Garry said she was organizing a search party in the next few days. "Carla's description was of an exact area, very detailed," said Garry. "We're looking for volunteers. We want a complete investigation, we want to use cadaver dogs. It's hard for me to wait. I want to get in my car and start searching right now."

Garry said she doesn't care what people might think about calling in a psychic. "It's gotten to the point where I don't care what people think at all," she said. "The only way to understand what this is like is to go through it. When Laci Peterson's sister said, 'I won't rest until I find my sister,' I felt her pain. I am passionate about this. Tina and Bethany were very important people in my life, and I'll never see them again. I want to fill that hole by finding justice for them."

Anyone with information on the women’s whereabouts is urged to contact New Hampshire State Police at 603-271-1158, or the Troop C barracks at 603-358-3333.

Psychic 'sees' Sinclair women's fate

Reformer Staff

July 15, 2003

CHESTERFIELD, N.H. -- Psychic Carla Baron says she witnessed the last few minutes of Tina and Bethany Sinclair's lives, while on the phone last week.

Baron, a Los Angeles-based psychic investigator, has taken on the missing persons case of Tina Sinclair and her daughter, Bethany. The two Chesterfield residents have been missing since Feb. 3, 2001.

Baron has had several phone sessions with Sharon Garry, Tina's sister, that have lasted two or three hours during which Baron said she contacted the souls of Tina and Bethany.

"Bethany and Tina came through on the other end of the phone ... its sort of like tuning into a radio frequency," said Baron, who was recently featured on a Court TV show called "Psychic Detectives."

When the sessions began, Baron said she knew nothing of the case -- except for Tina and Bethany's names. When she contacts a spirit she usually receives a series of words or images which detail a sequence of events essential to the case, she said.

Some of the things she was shown can't be released, since they could impede the ongoing investigation into the pair's disappearance, Baron said. What she can say is that she believes the two were murdered and their bodies left in a "cave-like" formation in a hilly or mountainous area.

The case and Baron's involvement may be featured this fall on television programs on either Court TV or ABC.

Baron said a brief argument between Tina and a man escalated and that Tina was choked to death. The man was either intoxicated or under the influence of drugs, said Baron, and the killing was spontaneous and provoked by a humiliating comment Tina made.

Bethany likely witnessed her mother's murder, Baron said, and was hit in the head by a heavy object and knocked unconscious. The two women were placed in a truck owned by the man.

"The truck must have had a flatbed because I sensed that Bethany was placed in the back and Tina was up front," Baron said. The truck took a right out of the driveway, Baron said, and the bodies of the two women were brought to a mountainous area and placed together in a cave-like opening and covered with tree branches for camouflage.

"He posed them together," Baron said, adding that the man then got sentimental and apologized. Garry said she is convinced that Baron can add information to the search for her sister and niece. The insights and knowledge Baron has displayed during the sessions runs parallel with information that Garry has learned, she said.

"The information she had was stuff that she couldn't possibly know," Garry said. "She was describing personalities of people and locations here in New England that she couldn't know about."

No arrests have been made in the Sinclairs' disappearance, although New Hampshire State Police have searched the home of Eugene Van Bowman at least three times. Van Bowman, who is currently at a halfway house in Concord, N.H., after being released from prison on an unrelated sexual assault charge against a minor, was Tina Sinclair's boyfriend. At the time of their disappearance, Tina, then 34, and Bethany, then 15, lived at Van Bowman's house on Mountain Road.

Soon after their disappearance, Van Bowman told a Chesterfield Police lieutenant that that the two women moved out of his house after he and Tina had a fight. Garry contacted Baron soon after the psychic was featured on an episode of Psychic Detectives. At the time Baron said she was swamped with requests and couldn't take on more work.

"I liked her work," said Garry. "We've had other psychics contact us or call us before, some good and some bad. But I was impressed by her."

The two later began talking when Baron discovered the case through Childseek, a Web site that posts pictures and information on missing persons.

How Baron's information will work alongside the police investigation, however, is still a mystery. Calls to New Hampshire Assistant Attorney General Simon Brown, who is the lead investigator on the case, were not returned Monday. Allison Vachon, a victim's advocate with the attorney general, said investigators are not currently working with Baron on the case.

"It's still considered an unsolved case at this point," she said.

Baron, who was worked on more than 50 cases including missing Penn State student Cindy Song and the disappearance of Elizabeth Smart, said her psychic flashbacks don't solve the cases, but they certainly add new layers of insight and information.

"Police shouldn't let my information lead them," Baron said. "But they should keep it in the back of their mind."

Garry said the reason she turned to the media after enlisting Baron's assistance was to bring added attention to her visions.

"My hope was that by contacting the local media it would prompt the investigators to listen to her," Garry said.

Some police departments welcome information from psychics -- just as they would accept any credible information, Baron said. Since information from a psychic cannot be used to obtain a search warrant, Baron hopes that the information she has can be used in conjunction with the current information that the police have.

She also urges the family of the victims to conduct their own legal searches, she said.

Garry acknowledges that some people will see Baron's involvement into the investigation as self-serving. Baron has not asked for money for her services, she pointed out, and the increased media scrutiny on the case could be a double-edge sword.

While the case puts Baron's name in newspapers, information that is part of the public record would hurt her if it is proven to be false, Garry said.

"It's my impression that this is her professional career and that she can actually lend valuable information to the case," Garry said.

Nationally-Known Psychic Takes on Aronov Investigation After Proving She Had the Right Read for Elizabeth Smart

Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) May 13, 2003 -- It is July 9, 2002 around 11:30 in the morning, one month after Elizabeth Smart’s abduction. The official Elizabeth Smart call center’s phones are ringing off the hook. Tips, leads, sightings, and psychic readings are coming through at a high rate. Carla Baron, a psychic who has worked on over 50 law enforcement cases involving murder and missing persons, makes a call to this official hotline for the Smart case. Carla tells Melinda, the person who runs the call center, that Elizabeth Smart is alive. Melinda stays on the phone with Carla for over one hour. Melinda feels so strongly about Carla’s information that she hand delivers the phone transcription to Ed Smart himself and to the Salt Lake City police department.

Kim Amidon, radio talk show host for KOST 103.5 FM located in Los Angeles, called up Carla a few days after Elizabeth’s uncle, Tom Smart, was on her radio show. Kim states that on the afternoon of July 9, 2002, Carla told her about her conversation concerning the Smart investigation. On March 13, 2003, a day after Elizabeth Smart was found alive, Kim interviewed Carla on the “Mark & Kim Show” because she remembered that Carla had said eight months earlier that “Elizabeth is alive and she is in the wilderness somewhere.” The statements Carla made a month after Elizabeth’s disappearance were found to be amazingly correct. Carla insisted that Elizabeth was alive and that she was in the mountains, within 15-20 minutes from her home. She stated the abductor was a ‘service guy’ that had worked for the family, and that he had “chosen” Elizabeth. Melinda had asked her directly if Richard Ricci was the perpetrator. Carla said definitely not. Carla stated that the man responsible for taking her “worshipped” Elizabeth and that he had been “watching her” for a while.

Salt Lake City police department has stated all documents concerning this case are temporarily sealed by the court, and that it would be made available once the trial has been completed. Carla was one of the few people that were convinced that Elizabeth was still alive. The substance of Carla’s insights concerning the abduction can be accessed through the radio interview given on March 13, 2003. On July 14, 2002, Carla had also mentioned her contact with the investigation on her weekly radio program, "The Crystal Palace", based in Los Angeles.

Carla Baron has been of assistance in many high profile cases such as the disappearance of Penn State student, Cindy Song, who has been missing since November 2001, and the current high-profile case in New York City concerning the death of Dr. Alexander Aronov’s wife, 44 year-old Svetlana. Her body was found on May 6 in the East River. A source working within a firm hired by the Aronov family to investigate the death has stated that the investigators have “…found Carla’s information to be plausible and helpful. There are things we could pursue.” The source has also indicated that Carla disclosed information that was not publicly known. In a statement made by Dr. Aronov, Carla had informed him March 10, one week after his wife’s disappearance, that Svetlana’s body was in water that had some sort of “current”…“moving water”…that she would be found in “a river.”

About Carla Baron

Carla is well-known in police circles and has been featured on Court TV for her psychic detective work. She employs a technique called “remote viewing” which helps her envision the victim and crime scene. Having been victimized herself by a stalker, Carla’s gifts have curiously lead her to cases where women have been abducted by men who appear to have an “obsession” with them. The cable network is currently creating regular programming featuring Carla, as well as, other notable psychics who work with various law enforcement throughout the United States. The series will be called "Psychic Detectives" and will begin airing in fall 2003.

Friday, August 09, 2002

FERGUSON TOWNSHIP -- A two-day visit from a California psychic tracking the Cindy Song case turned up possible landmarks or clues the psychic had predicted earlier, an investigator said Thursday. Months after she began extensive phone conversations with township police Detective Brian Sprinkle, reputed psychic Carla Baron searched several sites in Centre County this week with the investigator. Their destinations involved locations believed to be associated with the disappearance of Song, a Penn State student who's been missing since last Nov. 1, 2001. Song, a South Korean student, was last seen early that morning outside her apartment at 349 W. Clinton Ave. after spending Halloween night at Players Nite Club. Baron said that some discoveries this week line up with images that she has "received psychically before.” State police and the FBI are working with local authorities to investigate Song's disappearance. Baron joined the investigation in May with the help of the Penn State's Paranormal Research Society. Baron claims to have contacted Song's spirit in May.

[ Thursday, Aug. 1, 2002 ]

Song case first in department to use psychic

By Kathy McGinley

Collegian Staff Writer

The Ferguson Township Police investigation into the disappearance of Penn State student Cindy Song -- now in its tenth month -- is continuing to use psychic help.

Song's case is the first investigation in which the department has used the help of a psychic.

Carla Baron, a psychic consultant, and the Penn State Paranormal Research Society (PRS) are working with police.

Baron said she discovered new developments in the case with the help of PRS. Because the case is still being investigated, she said the announcement of the new elements might hinder progress.

"A certain odd discovery that matched what I had seen in the first couple readings with Detective Brian Sprinkle was found this past weekend," Baron said. "If we released this information, the perpetrator may run and we don't want to miss our opportunity."

Baron and Ferguson Township Police said they are unsure whether last weekend's discovery is related to the case. The current investigation is revolving around searching for forensic evidence such as clothing and DNA.

Baron became involved in the investigation through Ryan Buell, president and creator of PRS.

"I have used Buell and his colleagues in PRS to assist in various searches and different aspects related to Carla's information," Sprinkle said.

Sprinkle said Baron is volunteering her services. He said the station has received one phone call of criticism about using a psychic.

Baron gave her first readings and interpretations of the case's events to Sprinkle, head of the investigation, on May 13. Baron called her work with the investigation "remote viewing" since she cannot be in State College during the bulk of the investigation. Baron said she only fills in the missing pieces; she does not and could not know the whole story.

"I feel on the timeline we are close; I also see two months that are highlighted, May and August," Baron said. "Which means things could be uncovered and significant progress would be made during these two months."

Sprinkle noted that Baron has given a lot of information, particularly details about what might have occurred in the early morning hours of Nov. 1 when Song went missing, but nothing that has moved the investigation forward.

Baron said she is not sensationalizing the case, only making the public aware.

Buell was the one who put Baron in touch with the Ferguson Township police. Buell and Matt Ritsko, PRS co-director, head the PRS's field investigation.

"Our involvement at first was documentation to prove that psychic phenomenon is useful to law enforcement," Buell (junior-film and video) said. "Carla was the one who gave the police a lot of information and new leads."

PRS is compiling a search party to look in specific areas where Baron feels there are clues or where Song may be. PRS is not releasing the location of the search until the day of the search.

During the searches Baron will be at her home in California following the search via cell phone. She will be coming to town Tuesday with the cable channel Court TV. The television network is taping a show about police investigations that use psychics to aid investigations, and the Song case will be a main example. The Ferguson Township Police will not be involved in the search because it is outside its jurisdiction. However, if anything is uncovered in their investigation, Sprinkle will be notified.

"Everyone wishes they could do something to help Cindy Song. We are not giving up and from my point of view the investigation is still fresh," Buell said. "I truly believe this person [the perpetrator] is still out there and listening to everything that is going on."

Baron said police have been criticized for not doing enough, but their acceptance of alternative investigation procedures shows they are trying as hard as they can to break the case, she said.

"This is the first case I have actually cried about and I usually do not get emotionally involved," Baron said. "I feel like Cindy's presence is hugging me; that she is so happy someone can finally hear her."

PRESS RELEASE - 6/13/2002




University Park – Psychic Carla Baron, who was brought in by the Penn State Paranormal Research Society (PRS) last month, has been giving the Ferguson Township Police new clues regarding the disappearance of PSU student Cindy Song.

Ryan Buell, Director and founder of the PRS says that the organization has used some of these leads in hopes to gather new evidence or clues.

“Everything that PRS has done so far has been in alliance with the Ferguson Township Police,” says Buell, who goes a bit further to say that “all research that PRS has performed has been on behalf of the Ferguson Police, and even approved by the Chief of Ferguson police.”

PRS’ guidelines state that any specific details regarding a confidential case involving law enforcement may only be revealed by law enforcement. PRS will not release any information regarding the case.

“What Ms. Baron has revealed to the police and PRS are possible tie-in’s to some of the mysteries surrounding Cindy’s disappearance. She has given us information to look in to, and answers to questions no one can answer at this point. But to reveal that information would contaminate the case immediately.”

PRS plans to stay on the case for another few months, says Buell. Only two other PRS officials are attached to the high-profile case.

“We will continue to work with Carla until we feel satisfied that we have done all that we can for Cindy and her family,” says Buell. “This has always been about finding Cindy, finding out who abducted Cindy, and comforting the family in dealing with this tragedy.”

Buell reveals that Ms. Carla Baron herself may be appearing in State College sometime soon to meet with PRS officials as well as the Song family.

Buell also plans to organize a conference/alliance entitled Song of Unity sometime this summer. “We urge all organizations, all people to be a part of this. Hope remains as long as public interest and awareness continues.”

Although Buell won’t yet reveal what the conference will specifically be about, he does say that his hope is for this conference to create a constant unity between the community.

“Many people stereotype Paranormal Research Society as being a tough group of students whose only interests lie in catching ghosts and aliens. That’s far from the truth. We are part of the Penn State community, and we are doing our part to help find Cindy. We want to bind the community together so we can solve this once and for all!”


MAY 17TH, 2002


University Park, PA – The Paranormal Research Society is now assisting the Furgeson Township Police department in locating missing Penn State student Cindy Song. Cindy, who disappeared on Halloween, has baffled both the police and the community, with no substantial evidence surfacing despite hundreds of hours of investigative work.

The Paranormal Research Society has recruited nationally famed psychic, Carla Baron to assist both the police and PRS in finding Cindy. Carla, who resides in L.A., has assisted law enforcement for years including the FBI on missing person cases. She also has a radio show The Crystal Palace and appears regularly on MTV’s FEAR. Carla is currently preparing for her own national TV show.

“We are very happy of being of some assistance to the police,” says Ryan Buell, Director of PRS. “I think I speak for everyone at Penn State when I say that we all wish we could do something to help find Cindy, and bring her abductor(s) to justice.”

PRS will be assisting Detective Brian Sprinkle, head detective of the Cindy Song case, in gathering new evidence.

“Ms. Baron plays an important role in our investigation because she may be able to provide us with clues that no one else can possibly find,” Buell says. As for PRS’ role in the investigation: “Our job is to –naturally- document the investigation concerning Carla’s involvement. If Carla is able to help solve this case from out in L.A., it would provide some proof that the psychic realm does, indeed, exist.”

Although PRS will release updates with their involvement in the investigation, PRS will remain very quiet on details and on any developments. “Any news regarding the case will come through the police, period.”

Paranormal Research Society, which was founded in September, will also be bringing in outside help from time to time to help assist the police. “Our role in this is to act as an alternative method to investigating crimes.” Buell reveals that law enforcement recruits psychics and other “paranormal” officials all the time to help assist them in unsolved cases.

“Whether or not you believe in psychics, the truth is, they have proved beneficial. There are countless stories of psychics solving cases for law enforcement. Most of all, many psychics are at least able to provide some inside information, some good leads.”

Besides finding proof that psychics exist, both PRS and Ms. Baron agree that the main goal in this investigation is to find Cindy Song.


Back to Top

(1, 2, 3)